Research has shown that Australian men are often less likely to address their health concerns until they become chronic health problems. This may be due to the societal expectation that men need to “toughen up” and just “get on with it”. Our Naturopath works with many males to help them improve various aspects of their health. Some of the common Men’s health issues we see are:
- Male Menopause (Andropause) - a decline in testosterone levels accompanied by a rise in Estrogen, this happens gradually over a number of years for the male, unlike a sharp decrease in the female around menopause
- Erectile Dysfunction - Inability to maintain or achieve an erection, which can be seen at any age for men.
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - non-cancerous growth of the prostate, narrowing the urethra that causes urine flow issues and recurrent infections of the urinary tract.
- Infertility - the inability to conceive a child after 12 months of having intercourse around ovulation times with their partner.
- Prostatitis - acute or chronic inflammation of the prostate further causing urinary flow issues
Many health conditions like type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases are often preventable through diet and lifestyle changes. Fat around the waist or the “beer belly” is a significant sign, as visceral fat (which is the type that surrounds abdominal organs) and is a major risk factor for heart disease, colorectal cancer, stroke, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and dementia.
Some of the other conditions we see in the clinic relating to men’s health are:
- Hormonal imbalances – not as obvious in men, one sign is man boobs
- High cholesterol
- Weight issues – extra weight around the middle or wanting to increase weight
- Depression, anxiety, and other mood imbalances
- Sleep problems
- Chronic pain – such as back pain
- Ageing and cognition support
- And much more…..
Some of the men’s health problems I see clearly originate from emotional issues and then develop into physical conditions. One of the big underlying issues is stress.
Minor symptoms such as difficulty stopping and starting the urine flow can indicate prostate problems. These can gradually progress to have a major impact on daily life. It is essential that anyone who has any of these symptoms or any pain in this area should seek medical help from their GP to check the prostate as similar symptoms can be caused by prostate cancer.
We have a number of in-house diagnostic tools we use to assess the state of your well-being and why you are unable to lose that excess weight;
- Avatar Bio-Energetic Medicine
- Physical examination – BMI, Blood pressure, pulse reading, and more…
We also use outside diagnostic testing; (which test we use will depend on the information provided through our questionnaires)
- Genetic testing
- Functional pathology testing
- Heavy metal and mineral testing using HTMA
- Thyroid health
- Microbiome testing
- Food allergy testing
- Hormone and adrenal saliva testing
- Stool testing
What to do next
First, you will need to book an initial consultation with our Naturopath/Herbalist/Nutritionist so we can assess your health and decide which of our programs is best for you. This will be discussed after your health assessment has been completed.